It’s really hot out there. This past weekend had record high temperatures with no signs of a cool-down for the rest of the week. So, how do guys beat the heat? They ditch those pants for a much cooler pair of shorts. Before you expose your legs to the world, here are a few do’s and don’ts to help you chill out this summer.
1. Do opt for a nice pair of flat-front shorts. Tired of the same old khaki? Navy, olive, white, and gray look great and absorb less heat than standard black.
2. Do wear shorts that hit right above the knee. Any higher than that looks ridiculous. Much longer and you defeat the purpose and might as well wear pants.
3. Do pair your shorts with a more casual option. Choose a short sleeve button-down or polo. Skip the blazer. If the occasion is formal enough to be wearing a blazer, common sense dictates that it’s formal enough to wear long pants.
4. Do wear sandals with your shorts but minimize wearing flip flops for only the most casual occasions. If you opt for a closed-toe shoe, wear ankle socks or pick a loafer that doesn’t require socks at all.
5. Do experiment with patterns and loud colors but keep it appropriate for the office.
1. Don’t substitute athletic shorts for a nicer pair. Leave your gym shorts for the gym.
2. Don’t wear a pair of cut-off jean shorts. Just trust us on this one.
3. Don’t choose shorts made from heavy or synthetic fabrics. Go for cotton, seersucker, or linen.
4. Don’t think that more pockets are better. Cargo shorts are super casual and less flattering than their streamlined counterparts.
5. Don’t wear shorts that are too baggy. Opt for a comfortable fit with a straight leg to flatter most body types. Regardless of fit, most shorts benefit from the polish of wearing a belt.